Do you know what fall brings? Lots of healthy fruits and veggies! Did you know the pumpkins we carve at Halloween are loaded with goods for you?
Below you will find some benefits of pumpkins, and ways you can incorporate them into your daily diet.
ChicagoHealers.com Practitioner Dr. Helen Lee, DC offers the following nutritional benefits of pumpkin and its seeds.
Nutritional Benefits of Pumpkins:
1. Vitamins: Pumpkin and its seeds contain nutrients such as vitamin C, E, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, both beta & alpha carotenoids (anti-oxidants which help prevent cell damage), and lutein (support healthy eyes).
2. Organ Health: The nutrients in pumpkin and its seeds help support the health of your kidney, bladder and prostate.
3. Sickness Prevention: Helps with minimizing osteoporosis, increases digestive health by helping with parasites & tapeworms, and lowering cholesterol.
4. Protein: Pumpkin seeds are high in protein.
5. General Benefits: Pumpkin seeds help the body get rid of parasites and other unwelcomed digestive inhabitants, and they contain healthy essential fatty acid oils.
6. Important Fact: Organic, raw pumpkin seeds will provide you with the most nutrients and enzymes.
ChicagoHealers.com Practitioner Dr. Helen Lee, DC recommends four ways to incorporate pumpkin into your everyday diet.
Easy ways to incorporate pumpkin into your diet:
1. A handful of raw pumpkin seeds as a snack or mixed with trail mix, on top of cereal
2. Pumpkin seed butter spread on toast
3. Pumpkin pie/desserts/pancakes/waffles
4. Pumpkin baked or browned with spices in risotto, chili, rice, spaghetti