How many of you love to cook? I DO! I have probably 15 cookbooks if not more, I have found several recipes in each one that I love. I am sure I could find the recipes online, but I happen to like actually seeing it in print in front of me with pictures. Recently, I was contacted about doing a review on Taste of Home: Cooking School Cookbook: 400 + Simple to Spectacular Recipes. I didn’t have to think about this one. Of course I did. With my love for cooking, and my passion to learn new things in the kitchen. I knew I had to get a sneak peek at this new cookbook.
One of my favorite parts of this cookbook is the teaching. For instance, there is a recipe in here for Challah which is a Jewish bread. On the side of the recipe it shows you how to properly braid this bread. Which I am thankful for because I would have put it in a bread pan and baked it. Several of the recipes show you how, you should prepare them. There is a meatball recipe that shows you how to get the same size meatballs each time.
I know this cookbook is going to be one of my favorites, everything is sectioned off perfectly. With today being Cinco de Mayo I decided I wanted to make a Mexican dish. I found two different ones but decided to go with the more healthier one.
So I made Fabulous Taco Salad…
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook turkey and onion
- in oil until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook for 3-4 minutes
- or until tomatoes are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in
- Divide romaine among four plates; top each with 3/4 cup turkey
- mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons salsa. Yield: 4
Every taco salad I have had, has been with tortillas. So when I seen this recipe, and seen it was a healthy taco salad I had to try it…
All I have to say is YUMMY! This is a recipe I will be making more often, and my family loved it. Did you see a serving only has 224 calories!
With more than 400 recipes and step by step instructions by the experts this is a cookbook you want in your kitchen.
You can purchase Taste of Home: Cooking School Cookbook: 400 + Simple to Spectacular Recipes on Amazon for $10.98.
I received the above cookbook for review purposes only, no other form of payment was received, and this is my honest opinion.